Coral Dress

Tired of shirt dresses?  Me neither.  Here is a dress I created with a $3 top from Forever 21 and some coral jersey fabric.




So I have good news and bad news.  The bad news is that I didn't take step by step pictures when I made this dress, but the good news is that I used the exact same method that I did on my lavender dress.  (Find the full tutorial here)

If you don't know how to sew, or know the basics but are interested in learning more, Merrick and I have created The Modern Girl's Guide to Sewing, online sewing courses that teach you everything you need to know about clothing construction. You can take our Beginner Course or our Intermediate Course, and learn how to follow tutorials like this one! Make sure to check out moderngirlsewing.com!

I did make a few slight changes though.  

#1.  I used elastic thread on the top and bottom of the waistband.  Boy did that make a world of difference!  I used elastic thread on my swimsuit cover-up,  but for this one, I treated the elastic thread on the bobbin the same way I would treat normal bobbin thread, and didn't use the shirring technique.   The elastic makes getting the dress on and off a piece of cake.  

#2.  I added pockets using this tutorial.

#3.  The dress was a little short for my liking at first, so I added 2 rows of ruffles at the bottom for an extra inch or so. 

*Word to the wise:  It was very tough working with such stretchy material.  I love how it hangs and the end result, but trying to get it to lay flat to cut was a constant battle.  I also pinned it like crazy to keep the fabric from stretching too much.  Just something to keep in mind.

Labels: , ,