Fabric District.....part deux

While I was in California, my sister-in-law and I ventured back down to the LA Fabric District.  I'm going to be totally honest and tell you that this is probably going to be a mandatory trip I will make each time we take a trip home.


I decided to take Dana's advice and stop by the FIDM scholarship store first.


They had cheap clothes, but a lot of it is hit and miss.  Don't go in there expecting to find great clothes, go with the frame of mind that you can get clothes to re purpose.  They do have a wall in the back with lots of great knit fabric and lace embellishments that are totally inexpensive.  

We left around 8:30 am so that we could get there early.  The FIDM store opens at 9, and the district opens at 10, so it makes sense to hit the FIDM store first thing.

This time around, I parked in a lot right off of Maple Ave, just a block away from Michael Levine.  It was only $4 for the whole day.  Parking meters scare me, so this was perfect.  (actually, driving in downtown LA scares me, so I'm so glad my SIL offered to drive!)  I knew I wanted to go to ML last, so we walked up Maple Ave and worked our way down so that we would end up at ML and right by our car at the end of the day.

I found a place with fantastic elastic

lace galore


A store that just sold buttons and a few other notions.  I got a dozen buttons for $3.




It was nice to hit up all smaller street stores first, so we could compare prices when we got to Michael Levine.  I found a store that sold elastic for much cheaper than ML, so I went there for my elastic instead.


Don't forget to head directly across the street from Michael Levine.  Go in the building and take the scary elevator up to the 2nd floor.

This will get you to the spot where you can buy all sorts of fabric for $2 a yard!


And now for my findings....


I got the fabric for my Anthrocopy shower curtain, minky (for $6 a yard), tons of some fabulous gray linen, and striped jersey prints.  What a successful trip.

p.s. word to the wise- have a navigation system with you!  It will save you from a great big headache trying to maneuver around downtown LA.  We had one and it was a lifesaver.

Labels: ,