Chicken Cordon Bleu...with a twist

Last week we had a lot of family over, so I decided to make my favorite Chicken Cordon Bleu recipe.  I got this out of one of my Cuisine at Home magazines.  They have the best recipes, and I recommend getting a subscription to them for sure.  I haven't been disappointed by any recipes I have tried....and I have tried a lot.

So this is your classic Chicken Cordon Bleu, complete with fontina cheese and prosciutto ham.  But, there is a secret ingredient added to them that makes them amazing...

red grapes!





You can see my toothpicks holding the chicken together.  I used colored ones so they would be easier to spot when removing them at the end.



The red grapes add the best flavor!




Hungry?

Here's the recipe:
(serves 4...I doubled it)

Ingredients:
4 boneless chicken breasts (4-6 oz each)
2 thin slices prosciutto, halves crosswise
4 small slices fontina cheese
salt and pepper
1/4 C all purpose flour
2 T unsalted butter

Add:
1/4 C shallots, minced

Deglaze with; Add:
3/4 C dry white wine (I used white grape juice)
1.2 C chicken broth
1 T minced fresh thyme
3 T cold unsalted butter, cubed
1 C red grapes

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Cut a pocket into the wide end of the chicken breast.  Wrap prosciutto around each piece of cheese and insert cheese packet into the pocket.  Secure each pocket with a toothpick.  Season with salt and pepper.  Dredge chicken in flour, then saute in butter in a large oven-proof saute pan over medium-high heat for 4-5 minutes.  Flip the chicken and transfer pan to the oven.  Roast for 8 minutes.  Remove chicken from pan and keep warm.

Add shallots to the same pan and saute for 2 minutes over a medium-high heat.

De-glaze with wine, scraping up brown bits form the pan.  Add broth and thyme, and simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes.  Reduce heat to low, add butter, and swirl until melted.  Return chicken to pan to heat through.  Add grapes and stir to coat with sauce.  Remove toothpicks from chicken and serve with sauce.

As a side note - we are back in Provo!  It's good to be home.  But dang it's hot here!  We had a fantastic summer, and now it's back to reality!

Labels: