sewing basics:: the essentials

I have gotten a lot of emails asking for tips for a beginner sewer.  I am no pro by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have a system down now of what I like to use when I sew, certain stitches for different types of fabrics, etc.  So I'll tell you all my tips and tricks throughout a series of posts I'm going to call SEWING BASICS.

Today I'm going to cover the essentials: meaning, all of the tools that I use every single time I sew.  Having the right types of tools will really help you with your sewing experience.  Now I know that there are plenty more sewing tools out there than what I have listed, but here is what has worked for me.

*cue a chorus of angels singing*

The Sewing Machine
  There are tons of different kinds in all sorts of price ranges, but I have loved every second with mine and would recommend it in a heartbeat.  My mom gave it to me for my college graduation and it is one of the best gifts I have ever received.  

My sewing machine is a Janome DC2007LE.  My mom got it from Nuttall's in American Fork.  It came with 4 free sewing lessons that I never used and have always regretted.  I've read my manual from cover to cover, but it would have been nice to actually have someone walk me through my machine.  But it is really user friendly.

*One tip that I didn't realize until a little over a year ago, is that you have an option to load your sewing thread horizontal (which I started off doing) or vertical.  It comes with a separate attachment to switch to vertical and it has made a world of difference for me.  When my thread was laying sideways it would always catch for some reason and drove me through the roof.  I haven't had a problem since I switched to sewing with my thread sitting vertically.  

It's really easy to change to different stitches, change the length of your zigzag, etc. The stitches I use most are 1 (straight stitch), 8 (basic zigzag), 13 (blind hem), and 16 (basic button hole).  I have also used some of the decorative stitches on baby quilts and things like that and have really liked having those options.


Serger
Now this machine isn't essential for everyone, but I wouldn't be able to sew without it.  I like all of my garments to be completely finished, and you can't get a professional look without one.  I have use my mom's old Juki serger.  It's old....but it runs like a dream.  I know there are various serges that are really thin, or only use 3 threads, etc.  I wish I knew how to do those!  But the instruction manual is really old and I haven't been able to figure it out.  But I have learned (through a series of stuck strings, strange noises, and swear words) how to thread this sucker.  It is HARD.

Sergers are very temperamental, and if the balance is a little off, you could wind up with a snapped thread and have to figure out how to re-thread it.  The first time it came unthread I took it down to The Cotton Shop and a nice lady there spent a good 30 minutes re-threading it for free.  So you can always try that if you really get in a bind.


A Rotary Cutter, Cutting Mat, and Clear Cutting Edge Ruler
I went waaay too long without these tools!  You WILL be cutting straight lines, and your time WILL be cut in half with this little trio.  I got them all at Joanns.  I would also highly recommend a suction gripper  that sticks to your clear ruler.  It makes it so much easier to hold the ruler in place as I cut. 


a GOOD pair of Scissors
I emphasize the word "good" because I've used crappy scissors and they are no good.  I invested in a pair of good quality Fiskars scissors because they were nice and heavy, sharp, and cheaper than Ginghers.  Use your 40% off coupon for an even better deal.

Seam Ripper 
When you make a sewing mistake....which you will, you will become fast frenemies with your seam ripper.  I have spent many a night curled up on the couch in front of Project Runway with a botched skirt and my trusty seam ripper.


Pins
You may think I don't have an opinion on pins, but I do.  I started out with the sorry little miniscule silver pins, but made the change to the long pins with colorful balls at the end and they are so much easier to hold, remove, and spot on the carpet so your toddler doesn't puncture his foot. . . . oh wait . . that last part happened yesterday.  Worst mom in the world, right here.
I also found that they are the cheapest at Wal-Mart.

Seam Gauge
I use my seam gauge as much as I use my pins.  I am constantly measuring and remeasuring hems, pleats, or seam allowances.  It is a great little tool since you work with small measurements constantly.

Vinyl Tape Measure
I don't have an opinion on which one of these to get.  Just get one.  And you look really professional if you always work with it draped over your neck, like moi.

Tailor's Chalk
I like this chalk a lot more than a marking pencil.  It shows up a lot easier and lasts forever.  But I have been known to use highlighters and pens as marking tools just as often as the chalk.

Extra Bobbins
I always have extra bobbins on hand in case I need to change thread colors.  I have wound the same bobbin with 2 different colors before because I was desperate, but it just makes things messy.  I would recommend sticking with 1 color of thread per bobbin.
(make sure you check the packaging on your bobbins to see if it is compatible with your machine)

Extra Needles
There is nothing worse than breaking a needle and not being able to continue because you don't have any extra.

Last but not least, get a good storage system for all of your supplies to help you stay organized!

I used to just have a sewing box, but it became full and crowded quickly and I got sick of always digging through it to hunt things down.  So I opted for this shoe rack.  it gives me plenty of compartments, and it's all see through, so I never have to spend time trying to find something.  Plus, it is all out of Bradley's reach, so I never have to worry about him getting into things.


 Let me know if you have any other ideas for this series!  Like I said before, I am no expert, but am happy to share things that I have picked up along the way.

I will try to do a sewing basics post once every couple weeks.  If I try and say you will get this kind of a post every Friday I would fail miserably. 

Labels: ,