Anthro inspired caftan

I have been in love with this caftan from Anthropologie for a while now.  It's no longer availalbe on their website, so I added it to my "Things to Sew" board on Pinterest.


I had kind of just forgotten about it, until I found some fabric that reminded me of it in LA.  So I snatched up 5 yards.  It was $2 per pound, and weighed next to nothing, so I'm pretty sure it literally cost me $2.  I figured it would be great and flowy with my baby bump, and the colors were perfect for fall.  And after some trial and error, and many threats to throw it in the trash, I finally completed it to my liking.





I made a row of tiny pleats along the top of the sleeves, and the empire waist.  The back is just straight, but has the effect of being gathered once it is tied around the waist.  Since the fabric is sheer, I made a black maxi skirt and wore it with a black top underneath the caftan.

I felt especially pregnant wearing it, but I guess that's one of the joys of being 7 months pregnant.  You don't have to feel too self conscious wearing 4+ yards of fabric.  You're growing a human inside of you for crying out loud!

Labels: , ,