Striped Cardigan

I decided to go completley out of my comfort zone and make a piece of clothing that wasn't a skirt.  I have always stayed away from making a shirt or any sort of top, simply because it looks really hard and complicated.

But I had a ton of this cute striped knit fabric that I had picked up from the fabric district a while ago and figured I would give it a try.  It didn't even take a full yard of fabric.

It worked!  I was thrilled that it actually turned out.

Basically I just took one of my favorite cardigans (I love how long it is), and traced each piece of it using muslin.


I didn't take too many pictures while I was making it, because I wasn't really planning on it turning out right.



I folded the fabric in half and made the stripes go vertical for the piece that goes around the neck and down the front.  I like how it breaks up the stripes a bit.  
I had some gold buttons that I was originally planning on adding, but once I got this far, I thought that anything else might be a little much.  I like the simplicity of it.

I couldn't believe how easy it was!  After I created the pattern out of muslin, it took me about 2 hours to cut, pin, and sew it all together.  

Now I can't stop thinking of all the different cardigans I want to make.  Because a girl can never have too many cardigans.

Labels: ,