The Moby Wrap:: Tutorial

So today's tutorial may not be a piece of clothing....but it is something that you wear.  Since I am in baby mode right now, here is a little baby wrap tutorial.  And it couldn't be more simple. 

My friend Kayla raved about her Moby wrap after having her second baby.  I thought about buying one, but after taking a look at hers, I knew it would be a cinch to make and already had enough fabric for one.

So this this is super easy, but it takes a LOT of fabric.  So before you make one, figure out how much it will cost to buy the fabric.  If you can't get some for a good price, it might be worth it just to buy one.

Materials:


Step 1:
Cut out a piece of fabric that is 5 yards long and 23" wide.  Usually knits are about 46" wide, so you could get 2 wraps out of this.  The extra one would make for a great baby shower gift.

If you have 2 1/2 yards of fabric, cut the fabric in half length-wise and stitch the 2 pieces together, giving you one long piece of fabric that is 5 yards long and 23" wide.  Don't worry about the seam going down the middle, it will still work just fine.

***  I have had a lot of questions about the direction that the knit will need to stretch in order to work.  Ideally, a knit that has a 4 way stretch would be great.  But if it only stretches one way, the stretch would need to be lengthwise, so the very long way of the wrap.  If the stretch was only going across the width it wouldn't stretch the right way to pull the fabric up and over your baby. ***


Step 2:
To make the fabric more manageable, fold the fabric in half width-wise (like I did in the picture)


Step 3:
Now fold the fabric in half length-wise, with all the selvage edges on the left and the folded edge on the right.  You will be cutting the part at the top, with the selvedge edges as pictured.



Step 4:
All you will be doing is trimming down the edges of the fabric.  This doesn't need to be super exact, but I listed my measurements in the pictures.  The first picture is with the fabric folded length-wise and the second is after it is opened up. (I'm sure I'm stating the obvious, but just wanted to cover all my bases)


Step 5:
This step is optional.  I serged around the edges of the wrap, but since the knit won't fray, you don't necessarily have to do this.  It just gives it a more finished edge.

And that's it!  It's just one VERY long piece of fabric, with ends that get a little narrower.  The narrow ends just make it easier to tie.


I used this tutorial for wrapping it.  Cash loves snuggling up to me while I'm playing trains with Bradley or emptying the dishwasher. 


----------------------------------------------------------------

And the giveaway winner for the Ohh Baby Designs scarf is....

Mike and Larissa:  I like Ooh Baby Designs LOVE THE SCARF

Congratulations Larissa!  Shoot me over an email and we will get you your scarf!

Labels: ,