fabric district...one last time

Call me crazy, but I made one more trip down to the LA Fabric District before heading back to Utah.  Since I won't be back in California again till Christmas, I wanted to stock up as much as I could.  Joann's just isn't going to cut it for me up here.

I wanted to show you a few great finds (all pics from my phone, sorry about the quality!), and tell you about a few new gem spots to hit up if you get a chance to head down there.  I recapped my previous 
trips to the district here and here, so check them out for some of the places I usually frequent.

This last trip, I just headed down by myself.  Don't get me wrong, I love going with friends or my mom, but I made it a goal to maneuver around down there by myself, and now that I've done it, its a great feeling. 
(crazy traffic, left-hand turns, one-way streets, and parking on the top of buildings terrify me)

I am a creature of habit, and park in the same place each time.  That and it's the cheapest parking I've seen.  If you are standing in front of Michael Levine, it is the parking structure to the very left of it, up the alley.  It's usually around $5 to park, but gets cheaper the later in the day it gets.

So I usually start with the Michael Levine Loft right across the street (seen here) because it is the cheapest and that's where I get most of my fabric.  That way I can haul it all back to my car first thing and don't have to bother with carrying it around. 

Then I usually head right up that street about 7 or 8 blocks and work my way down, finishing with the Michael Levine main store (which has an amazing selection, but you can't bargain there like you can in the smaller stores).

One great find this trip was this store called Angel Textiles.  It is on the Michael Levine side of the street, about 3 blocks up. 

 
Walls and walls of gorgeous 60" bolts of the best apparel fabrics.  I got a ton of stuff there and it was all $2 a yard!

see what I mean?

are you dying?  I am dying.

My mom is redoing her living room, so I was on the lookout for some great home fabrics as well.  Michael Levine has a fantastic home fabrics store, right next to The Loft.  Here are a few pics I snapped:

love this ikat


how gorgeous is that peacock?

they had some gorgeous linen that would make amazing curtains

Last but not least, my little bit of advice is to try some of the food the vendors are selling on the street.  Sure, it's greasy, but it's also amaaaaazing.  And when you are prego, nothing beats a bacon-wrapped hot dog. . . did I just write that?  I still don't think I've worked that sucker off.  But it was worth it.









Labels: